Smell is considered one of our most powerful senses, and what we smell can have a profound impact on our mood and well-being.
Lavender is well known throughout history for its relaxing and calming properties and its use as an aromatherapy oil has become very popular around the world today for good reason. With the fast-paced and stressful lives many of us have come to lead, lavender can offer us that opportunity to re-gain some of that much needed chill time.
Here on Castle Farm, the Kentish Lavender Oil that we produce is of the highest quality. It comes from the Lavandula angustifolia ‘Maillette’ variety… a beautiful, softly-scented variety highly-prized by perfumerers as one of the best lavender oils available.
And it’s so easy to take advantage of lavenders wonderful mood-balancing properties yourself….
- Relax with a few drops in the bath or on a pillow. (Don’t overdo it – just a couple of drops is plenty!)
- Massage gently into the forehead to help soothe headaches or into the soles of the feet to release tension.
- Use as a massage oil to help relieve muscular tension and painful joints or to induce relaxation. It can be especially helpful if massaged into the hands of elderly people with aches and pains.
- Put in an oil burner to purify the air – the volatile oils are highly effective at killing airborne bacteria.
- Lavender heads can be combined with wheat grains to make ‘lavender warmers’ – small pillows or wraps that can be heated and are popular for helping to ease aching joints or muscles. The wheat retains the heat while the lavender gives off its soothing aroma.
See more on the uses of lavender (other than relaxation) here, and for the ultimate relaxation, see our Natural Sleep page and try our exclusive Sleepy Scent, which combines the relaxing properties of lavender with the sleep-inducing properties of hops.